I’ve never gotten anywhere I wanted to go by drifting.
Going with the flow is lazy. It’s passive. It’s the best way to land in some swirling eddy of life.
Nobody I admire or aspire to be like just sits back and lets life do whatever.
I get it. Life is exhausting. It’s tempting to just clutch out and coast. But that just leads to us landing in a place we don’t want to be.
- Relationships don’t just get better. You’ve got to actively pursue improvement with dogged determination.
- Finances don’t handle themselves. You tell your money where to go, or it will just go where it wants.
- Spiritual health doesn’t “just happen”. God will always do His part (the majority part) but you have to show up too.
- Professional development isn’t automatic. You’ve got do more than want it. You’ve got to work for it.
So if you’ve been stuck, today is the day to stop drifting and start moving.
Thomas Jefferson once said,
In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
But what does he know? All Jefferson did was:
- Author the Declaration of Independence (secretly, as he could have been killed)
- Excelled as a naturalist, founded the University of Virginia, sent Lewis and Clark on a little expedition, and oh yeah…
- Became the 3rd President of the United States!
So what would he know about moving your life in an intentional direction? A LOT!
So what about you?
- Have you just been “going with the flow” in life?
- Are you ready to “stand like a rock”?
- Are you ready to swim against the current?
Here’s 3 Steps to Stop Drifting and Start Moving
1) Reject Apathy.
You are not helpless. You are not a victim. Even if you were, you don’t have to stay one.
Life will undoubtedly knock you down. Obstacles are made to be overcome. Whether you’re dealing with a personal limitation, a discouraging defeat, or an utter failure, you have to make sure you don’t give up! Believe me, I’ve had more than my share of crash-and-burn scenarios.
Do not stay down. Reject the idea that you’re a loser. Losers give up, and that’s not you.
You’ve only got one life to live. So get off the sidelines and live it. Decide that you’re letting the clutch out, hitting the gas pedal, and moving forward starting NOW!
Who cares what someone else says? Just get up off your couch and punch apathy in the face.
2) Stand Your Ground.
Motivation gets you moving. Character steers you.
Activity for activity’s sake is just as pointless as apathy. Now you’ve got to decide what’s important.
Do you have your priorities in order? This post details how I’m organizing my life to win at what’s most important.
In a battle, soldiers aim their guns down range at a specific target. They don’t just sling lead all over the place, popping off shots into the air. They concentrate fire. That’s what you and I need to do. Focus effort.
- Do you know what you stand for?
- Are you living for what you’d die for?
- Do your goals line up with your values?
If not, you’ve got some work to do. Do the hard work of defining who you are and what you’re about.
(Note: If you’re all about yourself, the world couldn’t care less if you win or lose. We need more people who are shaping their lives around serving others. No matter what your occupation, do the uncommon thing and put people first.)
3) Start Swinging.
You’re going to have to fight for your life. No one is going to hand you success in what matters most. Swimming against the current of laziness and apathy takes all you’ve got. But it’s worth it.
In every area of your life, you have to choose to engage, to take an active role, or suffer the consequences of being disengaged.
So what about it?
- What do you whine about most?
- What area of your life do you need to stop being a victim?
- What concrete action are you going to take to stop drifting and start moving today?